Tuesday, April 15, 2008

gene wilder

just watched an interview with gene wilder, interviewed by alec baldwin. rarely have i been so rapt by every word of an interviewee. such an amazing genius. humble, hilarious and sincere. a trained actor, who got his start by watching lee cobb in death of a salesman.
he told the story about his entrance in willy wonka. said, "i must have a limp and a cane. then it gets stuck. then i realize it's stuck, keep walking, then i do a summersalt and land perfectly. it will show the audience that they can't trust me. i won't do the film if i can't have that bit."
a truly amazing genius that we so rarely hear from anymore.
i have been an early fan of wilder's since the producers. watched it as a kid and actually had the 8 track that we would listen to as kids over and over again. knew the soundtrack before ever seeing the movie.
loved it as a child. loved it even more when in college i sat with my new boyfriend who had never seen it. when "my blanket!!!" scene started, and aforementioned boyfriend was hysterically snorting, i knew he was a keeper. at least for another year.
if you don't love gene wilder, you don't love me.
gotta go. now the producers is on.

4 comments:

retotted said...

My Dad and my brother both have "lazy eye". This led to the loving bond b/t dad and me around Young Frankenstein (for Marty), which propelled the love for Gene Wilder. Which then meant we were semi-religious about Willy-Wonka, which means when GW takes his turn, I will have a HArry Chapin moment.

My college entrance essay was about Gene Wilder and Jesus (well....more like WW and Catholicism. But anyway. I will cry. When he goes away. And the Gilda stuff...I'm already weepy. Love him. Always have.

andtheend. said...

his agent told him he should do a film with peter boyle and marty feldman. and he said, why? the agent said, cause you now are all my clients....then he called mel. that is how young f. became made....never knew that.
love that about you...

Gary said...

What a lovely, lovely man! He's always been my favorite actor.

Patrick O'Connor said...

I met Gene Wilder in NYC when I was living there in 1990. I had already been a life long fan of his, especially the Producers which is my all time favorite movie. His genius shines just as bright in Willie Wonka. I thanked him for all the moments of true laughter that had brought forth in me from this one and only man.

I remember watching the Producers when I was probably 12 with my parents. Even then, I could not stop laughing. It was on tv on a late night airing of it and I will never forget that first time I saw it.

You have fantastic taste Kate.