Tuesday, August 26, 2008

DNC zagat review

(1-5 starz)
monday.
overall, the evening could be described as a yawn, a burp, a nap and a final cherry on top. 2 starz for overall service and presentation. i was very hungry when i went in and left only half full. there were, however, highlights to this lackluster meal. the best choice on the menu was dessert. wrapped in a ravishing pistachio sheath, and tasty beyond belief, this final winner saved the evening. nice presentation, solid and filling. not the best dish i've ever had, but made me want to come back.

tuesday.
a repeated trip to taste the samplings left me feeling better about this new scrappy upstart. luckily i was able to sample the offerings of the fresh delicacies from massachusetts. refreshing, well bodied and sentient. i think this dish has real possibilities. looking forward to see what becomes of this one when given it's proper due. fresh not frozen. 4 starz.
my second course was a thick, juicy montana steak. everything you could want from a good piece of meat. the presentation was big, the taste was big, the cut was big. couldn't finish it, so took home a doggy bag of that big ol' crazazy. 4 starz.
again, dessert ruled this meal. at first glance this looked like a tangerine parfait. beautiful to look at, but probably not going to be very filling. my fellow diners were ecstatic with the presentation, so i eagerly awaited my first bite. it did not disappoint. normally, parfaits are not to my liking. i find them frothy, self-congratulatory and strident. but this dessert lived up to its hype. from the first bite this dish left me feeling excited, moved and i wanted more. an utterly beautiful, powerful and uplifting finish to a very good meal. 5 starz.

2 comments:

RepubliCAN said...

I loved this! You could be a food writer if the acting gig doesn't pan out! For the record, I concur with your culinary critique of the first few courses served up in Denver. I was a bit more impressed with the pistachio course than you were, however, probably because I had absolutely zero expectations going into the meal. The tangerine parfait was a perfect 10, which surprised me because unlike the pistachio dessert, I actually approached this course with strong reservations...sorry, couldn't help the pun! There's no question the tangerine parfait is the star of the show so far. But, it's complement, the blueberry cobbler, will be served with tonight's meal. In my humble opinion, blueberry cobbler is overrated, tends to be overly self-important and is so...yesterday.

Tricia said...

can't wait for wednesday's, and of course, tonight's review.