Thursday, January 14, 2010
stuffed portobello mushrooms
i'm no vegetarian. i've tried. but i've become inspired by my friend, livininthegspot and i'm trying to limit my meats intake. here is one of my favorites, cause it feels like you're eating the meats, but you're not! it's super easy, and you can use whatever veggies you may have in the fridge. the most important and delicious part is the cheese. that is something i will NEVER be able to give up.
Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
2 Portobello mushrooms
1 T olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 of an onion, chopped
1/2 of red pepper, yellow pepper chopped
1/2 yellow squash, chopped
2 small tomatoes, seeded and chopped (or half can of drained, diced tomatoes)
1 bunch of fresh spinach, cleaned and trimmed
1/2 tsp each, basil, oregano
pinch of crushed red pepper
kosher salt, pepper to taste
1/4ish cup grated good parmesan
several slices fresh mozzerella cheese
fresh basil (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. (i used the toaster oven) Remove the stem and gills from the mushroom.
2. Brush the mushrooms with a little oil and put on a foiled cookie sheet.
3. Heat olive oil in a small saute pan. Add the onions and peppers. Cook until tender. Add in garlic, then squash. Cook until tender.
4. Add in tomatoes and spinach. Add seasonings to taste. Cook until spinach wilted and "cooked."
5. Divide the filling and stuff the mushrooms.
6. Sprinkle grated parmesan on top. Cook for about 10/15 minutes or until cheese begins to melt.
7. Add slices of fresh mozzarella on top and set to broil. When the mozzerella begins to bubble and brown, take out and sprinkle with fresh basil.
8. Serve it up over a few spinach greens, they start to wilt while eating. Delicious.